Sign in to follow this  
Jack Gardner

Podcast:The Best Games Period - Episode 67 - The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

2564_the-elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion-ps3-preview-20070207050436961-970.jpg

Oblivion released in 2006 bringing a massive open-world geared toward a mainstream audience to PC and console gamers alike. Players were able to explore Cyrodiil, a fantasy land full of kings and gods while experiencing a myriad of stories ranging from becoming the greatest thief in the land to stopping a full-blown demonic invasion.

Does Oblivion stand on its own as one of the best games period or is it overshadowed by the likes of Morrowind and Skyrim?

Each week we will be tackling a video game, old or new, that at least one of us believes deserves to stand as one of the greatest games of all time. We'll dive into its history, development, and gameplay, while trying to argue for or against the game of the week. Sometimes we will be in harmonious agreement, other times we might be fighting a bitter battle to the very end. However each episode shakes out, we hope that everyone who listens will find the show entertaining and informative.

Outro music: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion 'Beyond the Imperial Prison' by HyperDuck SoundWorks (http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR03522)

You can download or listen to the podcast over on Soundcloud, our hosting site, and iTunes. A YouTube version is (sometimes) available as well, so you can watch what we are talking about while we talk about it!

If you want to have your opinion heard on air, share your opinion in the comments, follow the show on Twitter, and participate in the weekly polls: @BestGamesPeriod 

New episodes of The Best Games Period will be released every Monday

View full article

I went back two weeks ago and played Oblivion and, again, had a blast playing it. The only thing that I would want different from it though is that difficulty scaling. There was a video I watched where the guy explained the scaling system and how hopeless dungeons start to become if you don't scale your attributes as quickly as the game scales enemies. I felt after that video that the main way I feel like I can still enjoy that is by racing through quests and not getting distracted by random dungeons (which would level me more).

Either way, I'm back in the Bethesda Universe with Fallout 4. 39 hours in 4 days and I can't stop thinking about the game, even at work.

• Like 1

I really find the split people seem to have between all of the Fallout games to be really interesting. Some swear by the originals. Others adore 3. Then there are the New Vegas-ites. I think that 4 will eventually garner one of the largest followings, but I think it will take some time. 

Nice to see Oblivion getting some love.  It remains my favourite of the Elder Scrolls series to date, because it's the world I enjoy spending the most time in.  I love how the main plot as well as the fighter's, thieves, and mages guild quests are all about being a part of something greater than yourself.