Jack Gardner

Gaming News:Square Enix Says Final Fantasy VII Remake Might Not Be the Only Pre-PS2 Remake

6 posts in this topic

final-fantasy-7-remake-970.jpg

Square Enix announced at E3 2015 that the long-awaited Final Fantasy VII remake was finally going to become a reality over a decade after first showing footage of a remade Final Fantasy VII opening running on the PlayStation 3. Since then, more sceenshots and trailers have appeared along with details about how Square Enix would be releasing the game as an episodic series (not the way many would prefer to play FFVII, but at least the remake would finally exist).

Now the director of the PlayStation 4 HD remaster of Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age, has revealed that Square Enix might very well be expanding its remake efforts to another Final Fantasy title from the PlayStation One era, though that revelation comes with some predictable caveats. 

In an interview with The International Business Times - UK, Takashi Katano let some insider speculation slip, saying, "[Final Fantasy 12] is a PS2 title, and you look at the other titles in the series and technologically anything before the PS2 era is going to be quite difficult to do a modern remaster of to a suitable level of quality. That means [a future game] is far more likely to be a remake."

That statement is hardly controversial - Square Enix has reimagined and remade the earliest Final Fantasy titles for mobile, PC, and Nintendo DS/3DS several times over the years. However, this news coming from a director of a major Square Enix project seems to imply that any upcoming remake would be a major, franchise undertaking, perhaps on par with their efforts to remake Final Fantasy VII.

The question seems to be which Final Fantasy game would see such a complete overhaul? Final Fantasy V and VI, though originally released on the Super Nintendo, could be a contenders as both eventually made their way to the PlayStation and the current director of the Final Fantasy VII remake has expressed interest in remaking those two titles in particular. However, significant camps of support are present for Final Fantasy VIII and also Final Fantasy IX.  

Expanding on his statement, Katano explained that the process would be less about what any individuals within Square Enix would like to port and more about what their customers want, "I've personally been working at Square Enix for 20 years now and I've got a lot of memories from that time. I think the way that we look at it is not the game that [we] would like to remake it's really down to what the players, the fans, want to see. We really have to hear their voices on that, if they want to see a remake or a remaster of a certain game then that's more likely to be the one we go for."

C7fwFEQW4AUypTX-970.jpg

Anything beyond the Final Fantasy VII remake is likely still in only the very earliest stages of development, if at all, but it is certainly wonderful news to hear that the company is open to revisiting their classic line-up with more modern technology. 

View full article

K8Morosky likes this

I'm already eagerly awaiting that XII remaster in July, so it seems I'll have more to look forward to.

I was honestly never a superfan of FFVII, (Got too bored of grinding and didn't even finish it.) so the remake of that is just sort of meh for me. Which makes this news particularly exciting. IX is more than deserving of a new coat of paint, and I know VIII got kind of a bad rep, but I really enjoyed it, so I'd love to see it polished up for a modern audience.

Now, there's a part of me that would be thrilled to see a remake of VI too... and yet, there's a certain je ne sais quoi that I fear might be lost in the transition. The thing to keep in mind is that where the polygonal graphics of VII VIII and even IX didn't age as well, VI's graphics have held up - to this day 16 bit graphics are still emulated for having that cool retro feel. I mean, this is a 2D JRPG that is widely regarded as the crown jewel of the entire Final Fantasy series.

It is so, so, so much more than its graphics. I mean this game hit me with such visceral emotions, not once, but about 600 times (conservative estimate) throughout the game, and no graphics update will really improve on what this game already has. All I'm really saying here is that if they dare to touch FFVI, it had better be worth it.

Speaking of Final Fantasy VI, where's it's Best Games Period episode? Need a guest speaker? LOL.

Jack Gardner likes this

8 hours ago, K8Morosky said:

Speaking of Final Fantasy VI, where's it's Best Games Period episode? Need a guest speaker? LOL.

Oh, it is coming, we just don't want to overload everyone with too much Final Fantasy all at one time. We're taking the Square Enix approach - say it will happen and then wait a decade. ;)

K8Morosky likes this

I was just talking to a friend about a Final Fantasy VIII remake. I really like FFVIII's art style and character designs and the game starts off with such promise, but there are things about its story that I find disappointing and frustrating. It frequently introduces these intense events and then doesn't seem to go anywhere with them. For example, the second disc might as well start with Squall saying, "Hey, guys. I was just stabbed through the chest and then brutally tortured for no apparent logical or narrative purpose. But I'm okay! Let's go run up and down a tower and fight monsters in a tedious filler mission for an hour!"

It would be a really cool remake if they could somehow tighten up the narrative.

Jack Gardner likes this

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 11:59 PM, silentfuzzle said:

For example, the second disc might as well start with Squall saying, "Hey, guys. I was just stabbed through the chest and then brutally tortured for no apparent logical or narrative purpose. But I'm okay! Let's go run up and down a tower and fight monsters in a tedious filler mission for an hour!"

Have you ever heard of the dead Squall theory? It's an interesting concept. Just don't take it too seriously - not even the writer seems to think it's anywhere close to cannon.

http://squallsdead.com/

Jack Gardner and silentfuzzle like this

I hadn't heard that theory before. Interesting! I'm actually in the middle of replaying FFVIII (just started disc 2). "It's not nonsense! It's a dream!" kind of sounds like a cop out, but I'm looking forward to seeing how well this theory meshes with the story nonetheless. Thanks! :D

K8Morosky likes this