Mike

Getting Schools Involved

Has anyone here successfully gotten a school involved with Extra Life?  It's an avenue I'd like to explore, but am interested to hear if anyone has already had any success with it.

I think getting college students involved would be cool. I'm not comfortable with us speaking to minors without parental consent. It just seems weird to me. 

• Like 1

Well an idea that was given to me was talking to high school ASB clubs to get them to kind of lead the charge on their own.  They specialize in doing charitable events already.

We have a few school clubs up here in Maine that run their own Extra Life events. It's usually some sort of extra curricular gaming club that seems the easiest to get involved. I haven't been directly involved in any of them, other than providing info to people with questions (usually the faculty sponsor). Reaching out to the school office might be the best place to start. The thing I always make sure I cover is that events don't necessarily have to be a 24 hour marathon, that it could be whatever they want it to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's another idea that might be beneficial. At ECCC in Seattle this year, we had several Boy Scout troop leaders show interest in getting their troop involved. So if you know any troop leaders, it might be worth reaching out to them and letting them know what EL is all about.

• Like 2

Many colleges have gaming groups that might very well be interested in working on something Extra Life related. I know that's the case around where I am. As for high schools, I'd try reaching out to the administration to see if they would be interested in organizing something along those lines?

Last year at ECCC, I talked to a middle school teacher who was trying to get one of his afterschool clubs involved. I think he said community service hours were required for graduation, and that Extra Life would be a fun way to fulfill that! Sounds like a great idea, with the discretion of the school.

At my university, there's actually a whole group of students (from the gaming club) who stream for Extra Life. 

• Like 2