LeaveIt2Beaver

The "I'm Going to Extra Life United 2017!" Thread

65 posts in this topic

This is the place to go once you've registered for ELU.  Find others who are going, coordinate travel, share photos and memories, and whatever else you'd like to talk about related to your upcoming trip to Orlando.  If you haven't registered for ELU 2017 yet, you can do so at www.extra-life.org/elu

Please take a moment to introduce yourself, where you are coming from, who you play for, and what you're hoping to learn, do, or experience at ELU 2017.

CAWZY, Tiny415, Gnomedic and 3 others like this

I haven't registered, but I have heard from people that there is no track selection upon registering.  Is everyone doing both video and tabletop games?  I need to know what to start practicing! 

I'm a little bummed that I can't be there again this year.  The ironic thing is that I'm going to be in Orlando the following weekend for Wrestlemania!:)

herobyclicking likes this

2 minutes ago, AndrewRDU said:

I'm a little bummed that I can't be there again this year.  The ironic thing is that I'm going to be in Orlando the following weekend for Wrestlemania!:)

That sounds like "Hey! I'm cancelling Wrestlemania and am going to help the sick kids and celebrate with like-minded people!"

That's what I read...

Apparently I didn't read or follow direction from the original post in this thread... :rolleyes:

My name is Justin and I'm 28 years old from New York (so that's where I'll be coming from). For a while, I didn't even know about Extra Life until I seen it on a Twitch stream from a random stream I was watching to learn about a certain game (I even forget what the game was). All I know is I've always felt like I was on this earth to help others, my family has ran a daycare and foster care since I was born and I have 3 adopted sisters and 2 adopted brothers. So I'm passionate about helping out those that are less fortunate and my other passion was gaming, started when I was 4 years old playing Contra with my brother. So when I came across Extra Life, a program where I could combine my two passions, it was a no brainer for me. 

I wouldn't say I play for one specific person but there is one person that is near and dear to my heart who has benefited from the childrens hospital I play for in Albany, New York and that's my cousin Joseph. He was born with agenesis of the corpus callosum which is.. 

Agenesis of corpus callosum (ACC) is a rare disorder that is present at birth (congenital). It is characterized by a partial or complete absence (agenesis) of an area of the brain that connects the two cerebral hemispheres. This part of the brain is normally composed of transverse fibers. The cause of agenesis of corpus callosum is usually not known, but it can be inherited as either an autosomal recessive trait or an X-linked dominant trait. It can also be caused by an infection or injury during the twelfth to the twenty-second week of pregnancy (intrauterine) leading to developmental disturbance of the fetal brain. Intrauterine exposure to alcohol (Fetal alcohol syndrome) can also result in ACC. In some cases mental retardation may result, but intelligence may be only mildly impaired and subtle psychosocial symptoms may be present.

He has many surgeries and has made regular visits to the childrens hospital. Doctors said he probably wouldn't walk or talk but he is 6 years old now, walking and talking and is a happy young boy.

I'm hoping to learn about all of these champions down here at ELU '17. I want to talk to them, hear their stories, hear their drive and passion for life.. it's truly life-changing and puts life into perspective for me. Also, I'm a competitor at heart having played sports my entire life so I want to compete with all of you and hopefully win some money for my local hospital but that is the last thing on my mind. I came down last year with no idea what to expect and had an amazing experience, not only from meeting all of these amazing and courageous kids but meeting all of you as well and seeing the passion that you all have for the same thing I have passion for, it truly shows me that there is still good out there in this world and that we can shatter all of these mainstream media gamer stereotypes. So with that being said, I can't wait to see all of you again (for those that went last year) and I can't wait to meet all of you that are going to be coming down for the first time. Also, sorry if this was long-winded but I felt I need to say it. :)

DJThunderstix, Mike and K8Morosky like this

I am thrilled to be joining JamisonM this year at ELU. Hearing from both Rob and him last year was wonderful and I look forward to meeting many of you and celebrating the the successes of the champions, our CMN hospitals, and all of our fundraising efforts. See you all in March!

On 12/10/2016 at 3:40 PM, K8Morosky said:

Spouse and I are officially registered - The Moroskys will be in attendance. <3

Maybe this year I will actually be able to say more than hello! 

On 12/9/2016 at 10:02 AM, Ben.Trently said:

@Zyaldar WOOO! I'm working out details now to go down.

Ugh. Ben is going? <sigh>

Tiny415 and K8Morosky like this