Stolar

Why can we not make TEAM donations?

Question

Stolar    3

Why can donations only be collected on an individual basis and not on the team page?

If you replace the individual donation link:

https://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donate.participant&participantID=#####

With the link for the team page:

https://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donate.team&teamID=#####

You will get a nice little popup saying:

Team donations are not allowed for this event.

This tells me that this could be supported and Extra Life has intentionally disabled this feature.

WHY?

Why can I not direct people to our TEAM page and have them donate there?

• Like 1

12 answers to this question

DJThunderstix    172
8 minutes ago, herobyclicking said:

This is likely a feature that Donor Drive does not support yet, considering the scope and variables involved (team members supporting different hospitals, etc). I am sure there other teams that would like this feature as well. 

I am pretty sure that this has been asked and requested previously, @DJThunderstix or @LeaveIt2Beaver could speak to this further.

Absolutely correct, @herobyclicking! It gets tricky because with Extra Life, teams are made up of individuals who can support any hospital they'd like. It's very common that a team supports a bunch of different hospitals. DD currently cannot support that aspect as far as team donations go. We are actively pursuing some sort of solution as we know it would make the donation process easier.

• Like 1

Stolar    3

Any solution is better than just not having a donate button on the team page even if it's not perfect.  I hope you can find one that works.

Thank you for the replies

• Like 2

herobyclicking    1,111
On 11/4/2016 at 5:50 PM, myrddincrow said:

THE ISSUE is: If you send people to your team page, and they see that BIG GREEN DONATE button in the top nav, they will donate to the event and not any of your team members, and thus your hospital does not get the funds nor does your team get credit for bringing in that donation. Don't get me wrong, at least the money will still go to the cause, but it makes it hard as a team captain to pull in donations for or promote the team itself, rather I end up just having to link my own page to everything. This ends up being misleading when someone is coming from my companies website. SUGGESTED SOLUTION - BIG BLUE DONATE just like individual's pages but when you click it, it forces you to choose a member of the team to donate too...

That's a good suggestion and I know a similar suggestion has been made too. Always improving! Re-tagging @DJThunderstix once everyone gets appropriate rest. :) 

• Like 2

Sean Rooney    433

I sent a support request Friday saying exactly that. The green "donate to Extra Life itself" button caused no less than three people (that I'm aware of, there are likely more) to accidentally not donate to my hospital.

It needs to be changed.

• Like 2

herobyclicking    1,111

This is likely a feature that Donor Drive does not support yet, considering the scope and variables involved (team members supporting different hospitals, etc). I am sure there other teams that would like this feature as well. 

I am pretty sure that this has been asked and requested previously, @DJThunderstix or @LeaveIt2Beaver could speak to this further.

• Like 1

myrddincrow    15

THE ISSUE is: If you send people to your team page, and they see that BIG GREEN DONATE button in the top nav, they will donate to the event and not any of your team members, and thus your hospital does not get the funds nor does your team get credit for bringing in that donation. Don't get me wrong, at least the money will still go to the cause, but it makes it hard as a team captain to pull in donations for or promote the team itself, rather I end up just having to link my own page to everything. This ends up being misleading when someone is coming from my companies website. SUGGESTED SOLUTION - BIG BLUE DONATE just like individual's pages but when you click it, it forces you to choose a member of the team to donate too...

• Like 5

herobyclicking    1,111
4 hours ago, Sean Rooney said:

I sent a support request Friday saying exactly that. The green "donate to Extra Life itself" button caused no less than three people (that I'm aware of, there are likely more) to accidentally not donate to my hospital.

It needs to be changed.

And this was the other guy ;) ^^^

zopie    11

I'm really new to Extra Life and planning my first event at a FLGS. I'm getting really frustrated and wondering if this whole idea was a mistake.

Right now I'm a team of one because the more I learn about how all this works, the more I think creating a team was a mistake. What are the advantages? Everyone I'm approaching to join the team is local and wants to help the local hospital but if I send anyone to the team page they get a generic DONATE button. We want all the donations to go to the local hospital and there is no way to easily do this.

I'm getting suspicious of the motives for making it so difficult. Why make it hard to donate to members of a team? No one reads the details, they see DONATE and they do. Remove the generic green DONATE button and replace it with team member buttons. Even better, make it easy for a group to create a single account.

How do I even advertise and promote this? Say "donate at this website but don't hit the green DONATE button, no instead go to the trouble of searching for individual names with in the team and then donate"?

I wonder how many dollars in donations have not gone to the hospitals the donors were expecting their money to go to? I can't run an event and assure people the money will help local kids, I'd be lying. Like I said, I'm suspicious of the motives of designing the website this way.

K8Morosky    477
8 hours ago, zopie said:

I'm really new to Extra Life and planning my first event at a FLGS. I'm getting really frustrated and wondering if this whole idea was a mistake.

Right now I'm a team of one because the more I learn about how all this works, the more I think creating a team was a mistake. What are the advantages? Everyone I'm approaching to join the team is local and wants to help the local hospital but if I send anyone to the team page they get a generic DONATE button. We want all the donations to go to the local hospital and there is no way to easily do this.

I'm getting suspicious of the motives for making it so difficult. Why make it hard to donate to members of a team? No one reads the details, they see DONATE and they do. Remove the generic green DONATE button and replace it with team member buttons. Even better, make it easy for a group to create a single account.

How do I even advertise and promote this? Say "donate at this website but don't hit the green DONATE button, no instead go to the trouble of searching for individual names with in the team and then donate"?

I wonder how many dollars in donations have not gone to the hospitals the donors were expecting their money to go to? I can't run an event and assure people the money will help local kids, I'd be lying. Like I said, I'm suspicious of the motives of designing the website this way.

I understand your frustration. This is my 7th year playing for Extra Life and I've been captain of my team for Pittsburgh hospital since the beginning. I doubt very much that this is an intentional misdirection. 

Solidarity is the main reason teams are worthwhile, especially when they have an active captain who really cares. I regularly communicate with my team members to update them on our progress and celebrate our milestones. My teammates are another family to me. 

We've had our share of donors who accidentally donated through the wrong button, and despite that, emailing support gets it moved quickly. 

What a lot of people misunderstand is that Donor Drive is it's own entity. It's the platform that Extra Life uses, yes, but Extra Life has limited say over its design. That said, I'm confident that the people in charge are constantly trying to improve the experience. 

As mentioned previously, because members of the same team could support  different hospitals, it adds layers upon layers of difficulty to correcting the issue. 

My best suggestion for now is to direct people to your personal page and instruct each of your team members to do the same. The team name will still be listed on each page, and your team will be all the better for everyone setting their own fundraising goals and reaching out to their own network of friends and neighbors. A brief warning to donors can't hurt. We all have our own way of creatively handling the current site limitations. I wish you luck in finding yours. 

Last but not least, welcome to the Extra Life family! 

• Like 3

herobyclicking    1,111
2 hours ago, K8Morosky said:

I understand your frustration. This is my 7th year playing for Extra Life and I've been captain of my team for Pittsburgh hospital since the beginning. I doubt very much that this is an intentional misdirection. 

Solidarity is the main reason teams are worthwhile, especially when they have an active captain who really cares. I regularly communicate with my team members to update them on our progress and celebrate our milestones. My teammates are another family to me. 

We've had our share of donors who accidentally donated through the wrong button, and despite that, emailing support gets it moved quickly. 

What a lot of people misunderstand is that Donor Drive is it's own entity. It's the platform that Extra Life uses, yes, but Extra Life has limited say over its design. That said, I'm confident that the people in charge are constantly trying to improve the experience. 

As mentioned previously, because members of the same team could support  different hospitals, it adds layers upon layers of difficulty to correcting the issue. 

My best suggestion for now is to direct people to your personal page and instruct each of your team members to do the same. The team name will still be listed on each page, and your team will be all the better for everyone setting their own fundraising goals and reaching out to their own network of friends and neighbors. A brief warning to donors can't hurt. We all have our own way of creatively handling the current site limitations. I wish you luck in finding yours. 

Last but not least, welcome to the Extra Life family! 

Well said @K8Morosky! How did I know you would get to this before I would ;). 

Your frustration is understood @zopie, and if this thread is any indication, one that is noted. If you ever have any additional feedback, issues or questions be sure to send a message to support@extra-life.org.

• Like 2

zopie    11

Thanks

I still don't know what I'm going to put on posters and fliers to avoid issues. Maybe I'll just put my donation page link on the main poster and like 

@K8Morosky said, I have other team members forward directly to their pages.

• Like 1

Hehe, yeah this has been a highly pushed for feature for a while.  And anyone at ELU2017 should let the Donor Drive peeps know.  I myself will be broaching that with them at some point as I have the time to break away from event duties.

I know the challenge isn't so much the adding of the button on the team page website as much as what it should do.  Some options I've heard floated where does a $10 donation get split across i.e. a 20 member team / among maybe the 2-3+ hospitals they cumulatively support combined and combine/sub-split that way.  Or have the Team Captain by way of a consensus vote agree that when this functionality is implemented that the "Team" would formally support a particular hospital.  Or there is simply a Russian roulette style thing where that button would randomly select a team member or give the donator an ability to select a person.  As you can kind of see the possibilities are kinda many and varied to say the least.  Especially when you factor in dealing with real money, that needs to go to the right places, as smoothly and as the donator intends.

For my team we decided a most worthy team member, usually our A/V guy that manages our stream on game day since they aren't much of a gamer but have donated their time, talent, and broadcasting gear, to be the person whose link we say "Donate to the Team" in all our flyers, ads, etc.  This year we won't have them so I'm planning on making a "dummy account" of sorts with accurate/real addressing info etc. so that mailings and any prizes/medals would be legitimately receivable.

I certainly and wholeheartedly echo @K8Morosky in saying there is most certainly nothing nefarious/misdirective at play.  It's simply a vendor Extra Life uses that has functionality we want and is working, as quickly as client/vendor software request cycles can be, to give us exactly or something as acceptably close to it as possible.

We'll see how this feature if/gets implemented by game day this year!  o/  ;)