Sign in to follow this  
Kickole

Favorite Game Soundtrack

Games have a way of capturing our attention. This happens with a great story or amazing graphics; other times it's with a simple but entrancing melody of sounds.

Name a soundtrack that made a game memorable; or just one that you happen to have on your ipod.

I'm notorious for listening to the Skyrim soundtrack at work.

Final Fantasy has always had some of the best music for their games but my personal favorite soundtrack is that of Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles. I still listen to that games music to this day when I am working. Such beautiful music for a fantastic game.

I don't know by itself, but the Valiant Hearts soundtrack. I guess a mix of that + the gameplay made for such an emotional game. I sometimes go back and play the game just to listen to the music.

Chrono Trigger and most of the Halo stuff. Halo 2 really stuck with me for a long time.

Makulah does some amazing stuff with the Skyrim songs and other geek stuff such as Game of Thrones and The Hobbit. Look her up on YouTube.

Chrono Trigger and most of the Halo stuff. Halo 2 really stuck with me for a long time.

Makulah does some amazing stuff with the Skyrim songs and other geek stuff such as Game of Thrones and The Hobbit. Look her up on YouTube.

Makulah and Peter Hollens. If you haven't seen it, here is both of them singing the theme to Civ IV

As cliche as a lot of you may think this is, I personally feel like the greatest (overall) video game soundtrack of all time has to be that of Final Fantasy VII. Nobuo Uematsu is a master composer, but this is especially apparent on the FFVII OST. Having said that, I'm also partial to the Skyrim and Chrono series soundtracks. Those are fantastic works as well. And to be perfectly honest, my favorite guilty pleasure soundtrack has to be the original Killer Instinct soundtrack! I'll still go back and listen to those cheesy (but extremely catchy) techno tunes! ;)

As cliche as a lot of you may think this is, I personally feel like the greatest (overall) video game soundtrack of all time has to be that of Final Fantasy VII. Nobuo Uematsu is a master composer, but this is especially apparent on the FFVII OST. Having said that, I'm also partial to the Skyrim and Chrono series soundtracks. Those are fantastic works as well. And to be perfectly honest, my favorite guilty pleasure soundtrack has to be the original Killer Instinct soundtrack! I'll still go back and listen to those cheesy (but extremely catchy) techno tunes! ;)

Oh man those old Killer Instinct tracks are awefully awesome. Because you mentioned it Ill probably find myself looking them up as I work today.

While the newer generation game sound tracks are quite awesome (Skyrim instantly comes to mind), I have more a fondness for the older 8bit and 16bit themes. Probably because, thats what I grew up with....I always like to hear Mega Man themes.

I would say Mega Man X has one of the greatest game soundtracks, especially in regards to Mega Man games. Granted, Mega Man has always been known for good themes and melodies (well, during 8 and 16-bit eras), but Mega Man X they seemed to really pull out all the stops and take advantage of the SNES' new sound capabilities. Similarly, I'd actually argue that FF6 is more or less Nobuo Uematsu's best overall work. While he's got a lot of great music spread across all the games, I feel like FF6 is where he does his best.

As for modern soundtracks, many games have a tendency to be quite Bombastic Hollywood Generic-ness, but in that regard I think the original Halo did quite well standing out. Also have to toss out the under-rated https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdxXKlreVm0, and in recent years, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOJ-Z357NxY. Due to how swiftly I'm moving between games, though, and how much more prominent voicework and sound effects have become over the tunes, it's really hard for many game soundtracks to stick in my head like they used to.

I still see the influence of the first few Tony Hawk games on my taste in music today. Specifically getting deeper into punk and getting a better respect for hip hop.

Bastion is a really good one.

YES!!!

I totally dig on the Bastion soundtrack and Tiny & Big: Grandpa's Leftovers, great tunes.

I gotta go back and finish Tiny & Big, that game had such a spunky and weird soundtrack, not to mention the absurd storyline :D

• Like 1

Jet Set Radio Future ("We need some help on Aisle Ten.")

Halo(s)

Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross

Bastion

DOAXBV (haters gon' hate - I discovered Olga Tanon because of this)

Phantom Crash

Elder Scrolls (any)

Valkyria Chronicles

Select tracks from Perfect Dark Zero (Glitter Girl), Gunvalkyrie (Kelly), Civ IV (Baba Yetu)

For me, it would be Guild Wars.

Not only because I beta tested the game, but also because it was one of the very first game soundtracks I actually purchased.