Sign in to follow this  

The Best Games Period - Episode 57 - Final Fantasy IX (ft. Dan Olson)

Jack Gardner

20170318204708_1-970.jpg

A strangely off-beat throwback to the Final Fantasy of yesteryear? A sunny journey into the heart of existential crisis? A relic outdone by its shinier successor? Final Fantasy IX is many things to many people. Only recently has the general gaming population begun to look back and notice the entry in Square Enix's long-running series that came only a year before X moved the series into a new console generation. Dan Olson from Folding Ideas joins the podcast for a two-part episode discussing Final Fantasy IX's fascinating development history and subtly powerful narrative. 

Does a PlayStation 1 title from the turn of the millennium earn a place in video game canon? Is Final Fantasy IX one of the best games period?

You can find Dan Olson on Twitter, @FoldableIdeas, or on his YouTube channel Folding Ideas.

Each week we will be tackling a video game, old or new, that at least one of us believes deserves to stand as one of the greatest games of all time. We'll dive into its history, development, and gameplay, while trying to argue for or against the game of the week. Sometimes we will be in harmonious agreement, other times we might be fighting a bitter battle to the very end. However each episode shakes out, we hope that everyone who listens will find the show entertaining and informative.

Part one focuses on our special guest, the development history of Final Fantasy IX, and our individual experiences with the title. 

Outro music: Final Fantasy IX 'Melodies of Life (Arranged)' by MkViff (http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR00152)

Part two delves into an attempt at summarizing the intricate plot and some narrative dissection in an effort to get at the heart of why IX has always felt different from the rest of the franchise.

Outro music: Final Fantasy IX ''You Don't Know Me" by katethegreat19 (http://ff9.ocremix.org/)

You can download or listen to the podcast over on Soundcloud, our hosting site, and iTunes. A YouTube version is (sometimes) available as well, so you can watch what we are talking about while we talk about it!

If you want to have your opinion heard on air, follow the show on Twitter and participate in the weekly polls: @BestGamesPeriod 

New episodes of The Best Games Period will be released every Monday

Report Article
Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

5 hours ago, cptjecht said:

Really enjoying Dan's opinions on FFIX. That and his enunciation is fantastic o.o

Thanks guys!

His speaking voice and eloquence really put ours to shame, haha! He's good at taking complicated ideas and distilling them down to their base elements. Loved having him on. :) 

Share this comment

That was a fascinating review of FFIX!

It usually takes me 3+ months to beat a Final Fantasy game, and sometimes I lose the story along the way if I'm too inconsistent about playing it. I think that was the case with FFIX. As much as I love massive, complex, crazy stories, their length can be problematic when you're distracted and busy. :S I might have to revisit this... after I beat FFX (recently restarted after stopping in the middle of it a year ago when life happened DX).

Share this comment

Glad you enjoyed it!

I can very easily see how it would be hard to keep abreast of all the stuff going on in IX. I powered through it in a matter of days and didn't delve as much into the side quests. It's definitely worth another look - I loved it so, so much. :)

Share this comment