Sign in to follow this  

I Extra Life to Give Back to the Hospital That Cared for Me

StarkleSparkle

Article written by Jeremy Woodbridge, also known as Kiyakou, a second-year participant who plays for OHSU Doernbecher Children's Hospital.

DSC_0515.jpeg

My life completely changed two weeks before my 16th birthday. I had a pain in my stomach, that no matter how much I vomited, kept getting worse. We left for the nearest general hospital where they discovered a bowel blockage. For the rest of that week they only allowed me to suck on sponges for water as they painfully installed a NG tube in my nose to remove the loose blockage from my stomach.

The tests and x-rays were painful, the surgery was long and painful, and I felt like it would never end. On my 16th birthday, a doctor came to my room and delivered the news to me that the blockage was caused by inflammation due to Crohn's disease. My parents were in tears. I was too weak to cry from the news I was hearing. My life was had turned upside down.

When released they gave me no aftercare advice or medicine to help me in preventing future flare ups. One month later I was already experiencing a flare up and I can remember begging my parents that I was not ready for another 2 weeks of hell with the hospital. My parents decided right there we needed to change hospitals.

When I arrived at Doernbecher Children’s hospital, I was treated with such kindness and sympathy and I could see the relief on my parents faces when they saw how I was treated. I was in less pain and felt hopeful again. This was everything to me. In the hospital, I used video games as therapy to remove myself from my current situation and would love talking to the nurses of what I was playing at the time. I felt like I could be a kid again. I got the care that lead to my remission today thanks to them.

I started streaming  in March of 2016. When I was slowly building a following, I started to understand that I could impact the lives of those who watched me. I thought maybe a charity stream would be the best way to promote positivity and help people in need. I remember asking my friend “HAVOK” who was a partner at the time what he suggested for charities, that was when I learned about Extra Life.

I was excited to learn that I could select specific hospitals. To my discovery I found one that impacted my life the most as a child, Doernbecher Children’s Hospital. At that moment, I knew this charity was perfect for me. I played my 24 hours and although I was exhausted, I felt a great sense of victory. The money I raised would go to a hospital that if they didn’t exist, I would not be here today.

Within a few months of streaming, I made friends with a few other small streamers “RLrichey” and “SakuraTsubasa”. We made a stream team called “Captains O’ Booty” and raised $2.5k for charity. Knowing what we just accomplished meant the world to me.

Thanks to Extra Life, I now have the chance to give back to a hospital that cared so much for me and helped me be here today. Thank you Doernbecher and thank you Extra Life for this opportunity.

image.png

Report Article
Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.