Finding and talking about your "Why"

herobyclicking

"The why finds you. You will inevitably know someone, or know someone who knows someone who needs a children's hospital. You'll know many more if you talk about it - many of your closest friends likely have experiences with these places that you don't even know." @Sean Rooney

Why I Extra Life

It may seem odd to make "Extra Life" a verb, but the incredible Extra Life community continues to make a pledge to "Play Games, Heal Kids". Year after year, since 2008, our passionate and generous Extra Life community grows. So naturally to do "good" for this community via gaming means to "Extra Life". Our reasons for doing what we do may vary, but we are all here for the purpose of saving and helping the lives of kids in Children's Miracle Network Hospitals across the US and Canada. 

Here are some other "whys" from the community. Consider sharing your "why" via social media, email or on your Extra Life participant page:

"It started out as a selfish "Cool here is an excuse to play video games for 24 hours." kinda deal  And so the first year my roommates and I decided to do it and honestly we didn't try to do any real fundraising until the day of the event....

Then this past year has been two really big events. Between attending ELU and both meeting members for this community and the Champs. And the birth of my son this year who a few weeks into his birth we had to head to our children's hospital to have some extra lab work done because he had some abnormal results come back on his blood tests.  It's amazing to see how those hospitals function and the families that are in them." @heartandthesynapse

"I worked at Wal-Mart for 10+ years, and if anyone knows they do a lot of fundraising for the CMN, and when I lived in Arizona, I ended up taking over the responsibilities for those fundraising at the Wal-Mart I had worked at. And by doing so, I was able to visit the Children's Hospital one day, and I had a very good tour of how the money is used and how it benefits the kids. And to me, I was thinking, how can I do more? That's when Extra Life found me." @JSStudz

"I got recruited on the Giant Bomb forums, and lazily fundraised that first year. I then got some close friends and family to realize that my video gaming in life has contributed to something cool and they started doing marathons with me. I reached out to my hospital on my own and started seeing how that money was being used. Ever since, I've been more and more involved and am still one of the only people involved in the area working to get more and more people." @zolloz89

"When you're just starting out, I think "Guilt-free gaming" is a good enough reason for your first year participating. Once the first year is over, the donations are tallied and all of that, I think many people will get the warm and fuzzies and will re-commit themselves for another year.  I'm based in Sydney, Australia where CMN doesn't operate so I haven't had the same personal experiences as many other Extra Lifers but the feeling of doing something you love, the feeling of doing something good and the feeling of being connected globally all combine to create a very powerful, very compelling force." @Rue

How to talk about your "Why"

As you can see, one of the best ways to share your "why" is to speak from your experiences. Your honest telling of a story that has affected you or someone close to you is a powerful tool to help support your fundraising efforts for Extra Life and your Children's Miracle Network Hospital. 

Meet Jeremy Smith (@gumbystation) for a great example of how to talk about your "why"!

https://youtu.be/I3WqXIpK4As

There so many stories like this across our community! What is your "why" and how did you find it, or it you? Share in the comments below! 

Edited by herobyclicking

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  Report Article

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.